Thursday, June 26, 2008

Week 1 Day 1 by Leah

First I want to say that its a little intimidating to join in a bible study group in which my partner is well on her way to sainthood. Whatever I say is going to sound pretty crazy whenever compared to a woman who's distractions from God are volunteer work and bible study. But you know I'm just kidding Mom, I'm so very excited about this bible study and can't wait to find out what I learn about myself and you!
Today I was wandering around the office on some errand or another and my mind was wandering too. I started thinking about people who are addicted to things such as gambling, cigarettes and alcohol. I caught myself thinking "Man, I'm glad I don't have an addictive personality". Then I stopped and realized, actually yes I do. I think everyone has an addictive personality. Like mom quoted below, a god that takes place of God can be anything that your mind focuses on besides Him. What do I think about all day? What occupies my mind at any given moment. I think for me I am addicted to people and society. I am a perfect example of my generation and of our current modern culture. I am always plugged into technology. I am never "turned off" from the world. My cell phone is always by my side. I am constantly checking for texts and missed calls. At work and at home I am almost always logged into AIM and Gmail and other chat devices. I also am always checking what I think is one of the most self-servant vain false gods-Facebook. Its all about ME ME ME look at ME. Look what I did, look at what I think.
I want my mind to be free of these false gods to focus on my real God. I want to live a fulfilling truthful life.
As any human being, I have a void inside of me. If I step away from the false gods that are filling it now, the void will work as a vacuum and immediately try to fill itself with the first thing it can. I don't want to fill it with another false god such as a career, a boyfriend, etc. God will step in if I can be open enough to receive Him.

No comments: